[postgis-users] Moving from Postgis 2.5.5 to Postgis 3.0

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Sep 30 06:31:58 PDT 2020

You don't need to run the perl script if you installed using extensions.
The perl script is only needed if you used what I called "Old Fashioned
using scripts".

That said your steps are fine.  You don't need to do not need to go to 2.5.5
in old before going to 3.0 in new.

One other consideration:

If you are using PostGIS raster, you will need to create your new database
first and then do

CREATE EXTENSION postgis; SCHEMA <same schema as you have installed your
9.6>;

CREATE EXTENSION postgis_raster SCHEMA <same schema as you have installed
your 9.6>;

Otherwise your raster tables will not load.

I'll work on clarifying the instructions in the docs, but if you can think
of a better way of describing it, feel free to provide a patch to the docs.

Hope that helps,

Regina