[postgis-users] PostGIS, Proj-Lib and GDAL Structure

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Wed Feb 24 23:11:22 PST 2021

Hello Michael,

It seems you are trying to build a complex thing but refer to PostGIS as a
specific compiled windows binary. If you are taking PostGIS apart for your
application, you should be doing that on source code and build system
level.

The source code is available at https://github.com/postgis/postgis and
inspecting the build system scripts will let you understand how exactly
PostGIS chooses which library to use - that will let you point the things
to the versions of libraries you want, and not the builder of your binary.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 7:58 PM Morelli Michael <M.Morelli at mitech.ch> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> We would like to use PostGIS as backend (PostGres with Extension GIS
> enabled). There we transform with ST_Transform sql-procedure etc.
>
> And on the client side (client-applications) we would like to
> install/distribute the proj-lib for client-transformations. Here we
> directly access the proj.dll C-Interfaces for transformations. So basically
> we then have two different proj-sytems (one on the client and the other in
> PostGIS-DB).
>
> But the projections (proj.db SQLLite) should be the same and also the
> proj.dll versions.
>

>    1. When installing the PostGIS extension on the server, is the
>    db-table *spatial_ref_sys* directly generated from the file:
>    C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\share\contrib\postgis-3.0\proj\*proj.db*
>    ? Or is it generated from the CSV-files in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\
>    *gdal-data?*
>    2. Why does the PostGIS extension not install the newest version of
>    proj (Version 7) and Version 6.x instead?
>    3. Where is the best way to download the proj.dll and proj.db for the
>    client applications? Should we copy them from the
>    PostGIS-Installation-Directory ?
>    4. Is the PostGIS *libproj-15.dll *the same like *proj.dll*?
>

> Thank you for your help and interest!
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Michael Morelli

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski