[postgis-users] Various ways to handle addresses in postgresql

Stephen Woodbridge stephenwoodbridge37 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:25:13 PST 2021

It all depends on what you want to do with the various tokens. Is "Nest
2 my nesting place" important from the point of view of geocoding? or
not? You can define a grammar to recognize "Building Names" preceding an
address and separate those out from the rest of the address.

@building @house @street @city @prov @country @postal
@house @street @city @prov @country @postal
@house @street @city @prov @postal

Here is an example of setting up 3 variations of an address definition
and the tokens will get compared to all of them with the best match
sorting to the top of the list.

"@name" is a meta definition that can point to an explicit rules set or
another meta definition

If @build is not important then you can assign the related tokens to
standard field that you ignore in the queries. If it is important then
you assign it to an appropriate field in the standardized address table
for this query.

Here is the sample grammar for great britian (ignore the fact it say
Germany, copy and past error)
https://github.com/woodbri/address-standardizer/blob/develop/data/sample/greatbritain.gmr

And here is the sample lexicon used to classify and standardize tokens
for great britian.
https://github.com/woodbri/address-standardizer/blob/develop/data/sample/greatbritain.lex

These can be edited as required.

Be aware that by default most tokens are classified as WORD, which is
ok, but the more specific classification the better it does to
accurately assign tokens to the correct grammar terms.

Also, this thread is a little off topic for postgis, so unless others
are interested in following this we should not continue on the list. So
if you want to use it, then start with the list of steps I posted
previously and read my docs. Geocoding is not easy as I think you have
already seen. I'm willing to help you but you need to get this built on
your system so we can talk about concrete issues and steps you are
having in implementing it rather than potential problems around
geocoding which are many, and many(most?) of them have been dealt in the
code.

Also be aware that geocoding will never be 100% because it is language
processing problem, but I have been able to get 95+% of a reference data
set to be recognized and matched correctly with multiple different data
sets.

-Steve