[postgis-users] DBSCAN vs Hotspot analysis

Dheeraj Chand dheeraj at dheerajchand.com
Tue Jan 26 09:08:31 PST 2021

I’m not really sure where else to ask, so let me ask here. Without getting deep into maths language, if I have a dataset of things like “houses with dogs” or “parcels of land where rosemary bushes grow,” and I am looking for regions of similar cases, under what circumstances would I use spatial clustering, like DBSCAN, and under what circumstances would I use hotspot analysis? What would they show differently, and what would they require differently?

I know PostGIS can do DBSCAN, and I have run it before, but I am trying to learn about hotspot analysis, too. It’s been so long since I had real stats that I am getting a little lost!

Sent from my iPhone