[postgis-users] Need help to create an help table

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Sat Jan 30 04:00:57 PST 2021

Hello Luca,

for one-offs, there can be done on huge computer in Google Colab:
https://colab.research.google.com/gist/Komzpa/fb24368a746854e53ebf79481dc24f18/postgis-on-colab.ipynb

Another thing to check is that if it is really a memory issue: you can't
have intermediate results more that 1GB per value in Postgres, and if you,
say, aggregate 130 MB and then take a buffer (x4x8 points = 4.1 GB) that
may just not be calculable without splitting it upfront and writing a
fancier query that does not hold it all in one value. Then your computer
should be fine.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 2:55 PM Nikolaos Ves <vesnikos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luca,
>
> I might be able to help you with this,
>
> Sent me some details of your project and requirements, and let's see if we
> can move this forward
>
> Best,
> Nikos
>
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 11:44 Luca Bertoncello, <lucabert at lucabert.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi list!
>>
>> It seems that the generating of an help table with some data for Europe
>> need too much resources and the PC I use for that (4 cores and 16 GB
>> RAM) doesn't have enough...
>>
>> The table is ~130MB and has ~108.000 entries, so not really big, but the
>> "aggregation" with the PostGIS functions is too much for my old PC...
>>
>> Since this is for an opensource and free project, I don't want to buy a
>> new PC with much RAM and cores (and > 500-600€ costs...) for a thing I
>> need maybe once at year or even rarely...
>>
>> The question: do someone have a PC with more resources than mine and can
>> help me aggregating this table?
>>
>> Thank you very much
>> Luca Bertoncello
>> (lucabert at lucabert.de)