[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Keep or drop Flatgeobuf in PostGIS 3.2.0

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 14:26:25 PST 2021

Even though I spent quite a bit of effort on implementing this stuff and
I'm sure I can fix the crashers I agree with the arguments to remove it.
That is, 1GB limit is really bad and better to use GDAL which has a well
maintained impl of it.

If there was a way to stream in and out binary with custom encoding and no
size limit (i.e COPY with custom/ext binary format) it could make sense but
I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

Oh well, it was fun. Some of it. 😂

PS. ST_AsGeobuf should be deprecated/removed too - it's even less useful
IMHO.

PS2. I do still believe in FlatGeobuf and it is used in production. ;)

/Björn