[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Keep or drop Flatgeobuf in PostGIS 3.2.0

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Nov 24 15:10:02 PST 2021

As mentioned on IRC just reiterated here.

I would like to see ST_AsFlatGeoBuf in there. Here are my reasons.

1) To Bruce’s point that sure ogr_fdw can read it, I’m more interested in the writing of it (which at least I can’t do from scratch with ogr_fdw) and getting out of the database onto the command line is not one of my great ambitions in life.

2) The fact it is a lighter weight format than ST_AsGeoJSON which has the same 1GB limitation.

Or as mentioned https://flatgeobuf.org/ a better shapefile format (for < 1GB)

And the fact that FlatGeobuf is about 50% lighter than GeoJSON

>From site:

  (shapefile 1, FlatGeoBuf 0.77,  GeoJSON  1.2)

Means I can stuff much more data in the 1GB limit than I can in GeoJSON.

Though not sure about how that places with the other attribute data if they are compacted as efficiently.

3) Given it is  demonstrated it can work fine with leaflet and openlayers means it is possible to hook it into something like

https://github.com/CrunchyData/pg_featureserv

as an alternative format to geojson (not saying you should Martin Davis – just throwing it out there :) )

4) One more reason to fight that 1GB limit – as postgis raster is impacted by that too.

Thanks,

Regina