[postgis-users] Help shaping the future: how do your use of spatial_ref_sys ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Feb 9 01:31:23 PST 2022

On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 04:23:48PM -0600, Jim Klassen wrote:

> We've been starting at 200000 and using EPSG

I shall note 200,000 is also not in the "user range" as proposed in
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2012-February/018440.html

The official PostGIS Manual doesn't currently advertise what ranges
should user custom entries be in, so I think it's tipical for users to
pick whatever range they guess will remain available over time
https://postgis.net/docs/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#user-spatial-ref-sys

Would you be disappointed/surprised by a PostGIS upgrade
replacing your custom entries above 200000 with some new
"official" entry ? What strategy did you set in place to
prevent this ?

--strk;