[postgis-users] Help shaping the future: how do your use of spatial_ref_sys ?

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 07:10:38 PST 2022

On 2/9/22 03:31, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> Would you be disappointed/surprised by a PostGIS upgrade
> replacing your custom entries above 200000 with some new
> "official" entry ? What strategy did you set in place to
> prevent this ?

I missed the second part in my first reply.

As it stands it would break things. The strategy at the time (again this was decided before 2010) was there weren't any EPSG codes in that range and the supplied spatial_ref_sys table at the time appeared to just mirror the EPSG codes.

How do other people handle conflicting srids?

For example, if I do a pg_dump of some tables from one database with some custom srids (for argument sake say they are in the bespoke custom range) and want to restore it to another database with a different set of custom codes (say it has the srs I need, but the srid is different) how does that work?  If I use OGR, it will probably figure it out, but OGR doesn't necessarily capture everything pg_dump does (constraints, triggers, grants, etc).