[postgis-users] PostGIS problem after updating from 3.1.4 to 3.2.0

Calle Hedberg calle.hedberg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 18:53:10 PST 2022

Hi,

I just updated postgresql 13 and pg 14 (running on the D-drive under
Windows 10 64 bits) from 3.14 to 3.2.0. (in order to install 3.2, I had to
first remove 3.1.4 - then I installed 3.2.0 using Stackbuilder run as
administrator).

When running "create extension postgis;" in pgAdmin, I get as expected a
message that extension postgis already exists. But it actually does not
exist/start up - if I run e.g. "select postgis_full_version();", it returns

ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/postgis-3": No such file or directory
CONTEXT: SQL statement "SELECT public.postgis_lib_version()" PL/pgSQL
function postgis_full_version() line 26 at SQL statement SQL state: 58P01

If I run "ALTER EXTENSION postgis  UPDATE TO "3.2.0"; "  I get a similar
message:
ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/postgis-3": No such file or directory
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function _postgis_drop_function_if_needed(text,text) line
6 at FOR over SELECT rows SQL state: 58P01

I can force the issue by dropping the postgis extension and recreate it,
but then I have to use drop extension postgis cascade and that command will
wipe out the geometry fields in the database (dropping ext postgis on the
template postgres db work fine, but that db does not have any geometry
fields).

I have tried to re-start pg, reboot the machine, and googling the issue, to
no avail.

I can see that postgis 3.2.0 has been installed:
D:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\share\contrib\postgis-3.2

I see the error message states it cannot find postgis-3  - but there IS no
such file or directory, as you can see the directory is actually called
postgis-3.2 . But I don't know if that's a bug or what...

Any suggestions - or will I have to dump all my databases and then
re-install pg 13 and pg14 afresh?

Best regards
Calle