[postgis-users] Highly recursive nature of geospatial functions and CPU consumption

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Mar 18 06:03:08 PDT 2022

Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong at gmail.com> writes:

> Am I right to say that some geospatial functions are highly recursive and
> carry out a great number of iterations, thus they sometime exhaust CPU.

Recursion and iteration are different things.   But complicated queries
on large databases do use CPU time.

> Would adding CPU help to speed up these functions?

Probably, but databases also need RAM; not having enough RAM makes
things go slowly (not jsut databases).  And, databases need to read data
from disks.

So perhaps you can ask a better question, if you actually have a
problem.

(If you're doing homework, note that asking the public for homework help
without clearly stating that is impolite.)