[postgis-users] Stuck with upgrade from postgresql 9.6 to postgresql 14 due to postgis2.3

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Aug 31 15:10:22 PDT 2023

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 11:14:21AM +0000, atanga MARCELIUS via postgis-users wrote:

> As mentioned earlier I tried the soft upgrade and it failed.

Did you also mention how it failed ?
The failure below is NOT what you'd get with Regina's instructions

> > xxxxx=# ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO '2.5.5';
> > ERROR:  extension "postgis" does not exist

The "soft upgrade" Regina is referring to is:

  (1) without extension to 3.0 - https://postgis.net/docs/en/postgis_administration.html#soft_upgrade_sql_script

  psql -f postgis-3.0/postgis_upgrade.sql

  (2) with extension from 3.0 up - https://postgis.net/docs/en/postgis_administration.html#soft_upgrade_extensions

  psql -c 'SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade()'

--strk;