[Proj] Cylindrish projections. typo.

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Tue Jul 1 10:04:47 PDT 2008

Here are several suggestions for terms to replace the adjective "pseudocylindrical":

1. Cylindrish
2. Cylindricalish
3. Generalized-Cylindrical
4. Cylindroid

If there's prejudice against the brief and clear "cylindrish", it's due to a prejudice against using a suffix from our own language, as oppposed to Latin or Greek, probably a carry-over from the days when all serious discussion was expected to be in Latin.

In any case, if cylindrical projections are psuedocylindrical, then it's clear that "pseudocylindrical" is crying out for a name-change.

By the way, there was a typo in my most recent posting: When I said that cylindrish projections are linear, I of course meant cylindrish projections with equally-spaced parallels.

Mike Ossipoff