[Proj] Installing Proj on a Mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jul 3 14:50:10 PDT 2008

Do you need unix-style libraries particularly?  I have a complete set
of binaries for PROJ, GEOS, GDAL and a few others in OSX "framework"
form. (plus most of the big GIS packages, linked to these frameworks)
Link in my sig.

On OSX 10.4, I think the default PATH does not have /usr/local/bin,
and certainly not some custom path in your home folder.  Edit your
~/.bash_profile and add:

export PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

On Jul 3, 2008, at 4:17 PM, Naiara Pinto wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question about a relatively simple thing..I need to install
> Proj on a Mac. I tried two things:
>
> 1) donwload the tar file to /usr/local and do:
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> 2) download the tar file to a local folder /users/naiara/library and
> do:
> mkdir proj
> ./configure --prefix=/users/naiara/library/proj
> make
> make install
>
> Either way I didn't get any error messages, but when I type proj I
> get the message "command not found". I suspect I might need to add
> an extra line to my .bashrc file, but I am not sure what it should
> be. I have a Mac OS 10.4.11 and I am trying to install Proj 4.6.0.
> My real goal is to install GDAL, so I am wondering what the best
> procedure is to make sure that GDAL can link to Proj.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Naiara.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy