[Proj] FWTools and Proj: Installation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 5 11:41:12 PDT 2008

Conor O'Donoghue wrote:
> I am new to FWTools and Proj
>
> I installed the windows version of FWTools 2.0.6 but it does not appear
> to be working.
>
> Can someone tell me what command to use in order to check correct
> installation.
> Thanks
> Conor
>
> PS: Is there such a thing as a beginner, non-programmer tutorial or
> equivalent?

Conor,

Generally speaking you are best off reviewing the user docs for the
component packages to learn more about using FWTools.  How did you
determine it is not working?  You mentioned PROJ in the subject line.
It would normally be used by opening the FWTools shell and then
issuing a command like:

   cs2cs +proj=utm +zone=11 +datum=WGS84 +to +proj=latlong +datum=WGS84

and then entering x/y coordinates like:

250000 1300000

and you should get back a long/lat location like:

119d17'38.017"W 11d45'2.313"N 0.000

Best regards,