[Proj] UTM map calibration in several zones?!?

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Feb 6 07:14:15 PST 2009

Multiple zones of a single Grid system are often found in overlap areas.  Such is the rule rather than the exception for the U.S. Geological Survey maps of the United States with respect to the State Plane Coordinate Systems.  With respect to the military services, it is found on ALL 1:50,000 topographic maps intended to be used by NATO forces in areas of potential zone overlap.

Some WWII - era maps of North Africa had three, sometimes four different Grids overprinted on the same paper map.  That was the usual case with the old British Grids in which the Grid boundaries were cut along ellipsoidal loxodromes ... for Europe, too!

C. Mugnier
LSU