[Proj] Accurate algorithm for geodesic calculations

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 07:52:47 PST 2009

On Saturday 28 February 2009 5:17:14 pm Charles Karney wrote:
> I've implemented an algorithm for geodesic calculations for an ellipsoid
> with the following features:
>
>  * It uses expansions accurate to 8th order in the ellipsoid flattening.
>    This gives 12 nm accuracy using doubles and 6 pm accuracy using long
>    doubles.

Ahh!  Nothing like overkilling a subject.   ;-)

Given that all other work with the Earth misses by many order of magnitude the
need for such precision.

Oh well.

> The code itself (C++ classes and a program for doing geodesic
> calculations) is available at

Not to throw cold water on C++ which I can understand provides a useful
service in certain applications but I feel that C++ contributes little, if
anything, to small, limited application procedures.  Certainly, for someone
with less than expert experience with C++, your code is nearly unreadable
based upon previous experience.  In the TM code, C++ only obfuscated the
algorithm.

Again, this is not a language war, only a comment on how to reach the widest
audience.  Anyone who is an expert in C++ can easily understand a C procedure
but the reverse in not true.