[Proj] Accurate algorithm for geodesic calculations

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 13:04:32 PST 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 3:05:46 pm Karney, Charles F. wrote:
> > Again, this is not a language war, only a comment on how to reach the
> > widest audience.  Anyone who is an expert in C++ can easily understand
> > a C procedure but the reverse in not true.
>
> Ahh..., but it's not the case that anyone who can write passable C++
> code can write equivalently decent C code.  I went straight from Fortran
> to C++ without stopping off at C.  And no, I'm not going to go back to
> using Fortran.

Of course, that is an absurd statement.  C very much a subset of C++ and using
C as an alternative is merely ignoring the superfluous parts of C++ that do
little in facilitating most mathematical intensive procedures.

For clarity of code, FORTRAN is infinitely superior to C++.  That is as far as
I will go in supporting FORTRAN.

For sub-Mensa class individuals, such as myself, it is quite difficult to
follow C++ and aspects of highly mathematical procedures that would be much
clearer in a lower language.  This is especially true because of the
multitude of techniques available in C++---none of which can be demonstrated
as the best---to solve a problem.

However, forget the computer code, the clearest way to make your efforts
available to everyone is to use the universal language of mathematics.  Then
everyone can participate in newfound knowledge.  I can read a paper written
in Chinese and still understand the math it contains.

Be a saint and publish in pdf!