[Proj] towgs params and epsg code for Italy regions

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Tue Mar 10 07:12:40 PDT 2009

Hello Massimo,
You wrote

> when I don't need more accuracy I use the following +towgs params :
>
> all the Italian region :
> towgs84 = −225.000, −65.000, 9.000
>
> Italian peninsular part :
> towgs : −104.1, −49.1, −9.9, 0.971, −2.917, 0.714, −11.68
>
> Sardinia :
> towgs84 = −168.6, −34.0, 38.6, −0.374, −0.679, −1.379, −9.48
>
> Sicily :
> towgs84 = −50.2, −50.4, 84.8, −0.690, −2.012, 0.459, −28.08

> I agree I can manually add it to the epsg file, but maybe there is a reason
> because these parameters are not already inside it?  A license problem?

The country-wide transform is not defined in the EPSG database, as far
as I know.  Where did you find it?  But the other three are defined,
plus several more for offshore areas around Italy.
  So, the problem is ambiguity. There are many possibilities, but there
is only one Rome40 datum. The policy of Proj.4 is that when a datum has
several alternative towgs84-shifts in the EPSG database, then Proj.4
cannot know which one is best, so no one at all is chosen. (Until you
add some towgs84 parameters manually, I mean.)

Other GIS software makes other design choices. I have read about some
- I think it was GeoTools - that attempts to choose the best datum shift
of several possibilies (or at least an arbitrary one).
But that optimistic approach is sometimes dangerous.

Best regards,

--
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB