[Proj] Hi

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Tue Mar 17 06:06:13 PDT 2009

Hello,
"Gauss conformal" means the same thing as "Gauss-Krüger" or "Transverse Mercator".
With the central longitude 23°E, it looks like a national definition.

I looked for "23" in the pcs.csv file that is shipped with GDAL.
Assuming that your coordinate reference system is included in the EPSG dataset,
I think it must be one of these:

  CODE        NAME                          AREA OF USE
  EPSG:2050,  "Hartebeesthoek94 / Lo23",    South Africa 22°E to 24°E
  EPSG:2075,  "ELD79 / Libya zone 12",      Libya 22°E to 24°E
  EPSG:3130,  "ETRS89 / ETRS-GK23FIN",      Finland 22.5°E to 23.5°E
  EPSG:3197,  "LGD2006 / Libya TM zone 12", Libya 22°E to 24°E
  EPSG:22283, "Cape / Lo23",                South Africa 22°E to 24°E
  EPSG:29383, "Schwarzeck / Lo22/23",       Namibia 22°E to 24°E

Probably, only some of these datums can be considered to be equivalent
to WGS84, so you can rule out those with other datums.
You can find the details of the datums and the projection parameters
on www.epsg-registry.org or on http://spatialreference.org .

To implement the south-oriented Transverse Mercator used in South Africa, you
may need to use a negative scale factor (use +k=-1 instead of +k=1 ) in Proj.4.

Good luck,
--
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB