[Proj] Cosmetic latitudes, and the diacritics of Josef Krovak and others

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon Mar 23 05:08:11 PDT 2009

Oscar wrote:

> This is the only correct spelling. - - -

Thanks, Oscar and Gerald. (Diacritical marks always worry me.) Nice portrait links, too.

daan wrote (about a central latitude that doesn't affect the shape of the projection):

> Snyder includes it explicitly in his formulations, referring
> to it as the "latitude of origin" and denoting it as φ₀.

Yes, now that you mention it. I have never noticed it before, but Snyder
uses phi_0 when the parameter does not affect the projection shape, but
otherwise he uses phi_1 (which he often calls the "latitude of the center of
the projection and origin"), or else phi_1 and phi_2 for two standard parallels.
This convention is, in fact, stated in his list of symbols on pages viii - ix,
which I hadn't read carefully enough before.

"Latitude of origin" sounds fine, but I am not too fond of using
many different names for what is called lat_0 in Proj.4.  The
EPSG Guidance Note 7.2 has gone too far in this direction, I think.
I like "central latitude" as the only name.

To be honest, I was wondering if I ought to implement support for a non-zero
lat_0 for normal cylindrical projections, just in case others were doing it.

But Gerald wrote:
> In this case [normal cylindrical projections] the use of lat_0 was simple
> lazyness or the creation by someone completely ignorant of the basics.

which reminded me of an older post by Melita Kennedy on the MetaCRS list:
> I have had requests to add a latitude of origin parameter to
> the ESRI Mercator implementation. So far we haven't done it, as
> you can get the same results through the false northing parameter.
  ( http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/metacrs/2008-November/000178.html )

So, all right. I don't want to be the first to introduce a completely
useless feature.  (Fourth or fifth would be okay :-> )
I guess I should just describe the situation in words for each projection
where it occurs.  There can't be many, without the normal cylindrical ones.

Thanks for all advice,
--
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB