[Proj] datum matters

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Mon Mar 30 14:57:59 PDT 2009

Agree wholeheartedly! Even Gerald Evenden would agree, I guess: separate
projections from datums and you get a much clearer viewof the process.
Pity he isn't on this list any more. Projections are about getting data
from an ellipsoid on to a flat surface, datums are about translating and
rotating the ellipsoid itself.  I completely agree with Cliff that the
user should know what he/she is doing.

Jan

Dr. J. Hartmann
Department of Geography