[Proj] EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) after manysuccessful calls to pj_init_plus

Eric Miller EMiller at dfg.ca.gov
Wed Oct 27 16:36:14 PDT 2010

>>> On 10/27/2010 at 4:20 PM, Aaron Friesen <aaron at cartopac.com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I have an application that runs as a web service.  It
> runs for a while, then any call to pj_init_plus with
> the same string that has been successfully running
> up to that point eventually results in an access
> violation during the pj_init_plus call.
>
> Restarting the service clears up the problem for a
> while, but once it hits, proj seems to be in a
> problem state.

PROJ.4 hasn't historically been thread safe.  That causes problems when trying to use it in a server/service context.  One of the trouble areas has been the handling of datum grid files.  Another is the global error code.  It may be that version 4.7 has improved that situation.  I gave up trying to use it in a web service years ago...
--

Eric G. Miller
Staff Programmer