[PROJ] Is 16-bit quantization of values / (sub-)millimetric error in grids (sometimes) acceptable ?

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Sun Dec 8 08:25:12 PST 2019

Hi Even,

I will try the clarify the accuracy of the grid shift files for the Netherlands.

The core control points (CORS) in the Netherlands have a precision of a few millimetres to about a centimetre (depending on what you use as reference). The lower order control points have a precision in the order of a centimetre.

However, our national coordinate system RD is defined as the transformation from ETRS89 as we publish it. This transformation is therefore perfect. The only inaccuracy comes from numerical issues like iterations etc. in the order of 0.1 mm.

The difference between rdtrans2008.gsb and rdtrans2018.gsb is at maximum 1 cm in on-shore Netherlands. Strictly speaking, this is a redefinition of RD and the 2008 definition should only be used with ETRF2000(R05) coordinates and the 2018 definition only with ETRF2000(R14) coordinates. In practise, the difference doesn't matter to the users, as long as the most precise users do not mix the 2008 and 2018 definition within one project.

The most precise use of RD is in the order of 1 cm. To make sure that implementations of the transformation between RD and ETRS89 are one order of magnitude better, we demand software developers that want to use the trademark RDNAPTRANS to implement the transformation with an accuracy of 1 mm. It is therefore important that when the grid shift file of the Netherlands is converted from NTv2 to another data format, the differences are well below 1 mm, and preferably in the order of 0.1 mm.

The idea behind this is that when surveyors measure with 1 cm precision, the accuracy of the implementation of the transformation they use should be 1 mm. We compare implementations of the transformation in surveying and GIS software with the PROJ. implementation to check if it is within 1 mm. For a fair comparison, the PROJ. implementation should have an accuracy of 0.1 mm and also the different grids we publish should be consistent within 0.1 mm.

Regards, Jochem