[PROJ] Proj 6.2 - release date fixed?

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Jul 15 23:34:28 PDT 2019

Between now and the scheduled September 1st release I don’t have much
time for preparing a new release. I will be vacationing for the majority of the
time and in the limited time that is left I have higher priority work that needs
to be done. So based on that alone I am inclined to say no, I am not going
To fast track the 6.2.0 release.

Looking at the QGIS release schedule it doesn’t seem catastrophic to me.
As far as I can tell you have 3.8.3 coming up September 13 and 3.10.0 on
October 25. That gives you a month of real world user exposure of the
PROJ6.2+GDAL3+QGIS combination. While it is not perfect, surely the most
immediate issues will be found within that timespan?

/Kristian

> On 16 Jul 2019, at 08:04, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 16:02, Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Nyall,
>>
>> When would you propose to have the release instead?
>
> Well... master is nice and super stable currently. Or after your java
> work lands?
>
> Nyall
>

>> /Kristian
>>
>>> On 16 Jul 2019, at 00:30, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> Are proj release dates set in stone? Looking at the milestones on
>>> github, I see that 6.2 is targeted for September. Is there any chance
>>> this could be moved forward?
>>>
>>> I'd like to push the QGIS Windows and Macos builds to use proj 6 (and
>>> gdal 3) after the upcoming QGIS 3.8.1 patch release (due later this
>>> week), so that we get maximum testing and feedback prior to the final
>>> 3.10 release (and just because things are so much better in the proj 6
>>> world). While we could do this using the current proj 6.1 release, the
>>> user experience is MUCH improved with 6.2 due to the availability of
>>> scope and remark data.
>>>
>>> Sooo.... any chance this schedule is flexible?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Nyall