[PROJ] Motion: Accept RFC4 (PROJ JNI Overhaul)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jul 17 08:02:00 PDT 2019

I'm not PSC of course, but with a lot of +0 sentiment (which I interpret
as "I don't really like this, but I don't feel like it's reasonable to
object"), it seems like it might be a good time to have the java binding
in it's own package.

>From a packaging system point of view, separate is better, as it would
be crazy to require java to be installed to build the basic proj
package, and thus you end up building a proj package and then a
proj-java package.  If the java bindings are in a subdir and have their
own entirely separate build system (such that building proj doesn't
build them, and building the java bindings uses the installed proj and
doesn't build it locally), that's not really a problem, but it then also
doesn't really help to have them in the same source tarball.

So were I PSC, I'd be inclined to -1 and +1 in favor of "put this in a
separate repo".   That's not meant to be criticism of the code or java,
just a strong bias to having separable things separate.