[PROJ] proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Sat Jun 1 00:58:46 PDT 2019

> On 1 Jun 2019, at 06:00, Mike Taves <mwtoews at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 09:19, Alan Snow <alansnow21 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is great. What is the plan for the timing of renaming the github repo to PROJ?
>
> I think GitHub repos can be renamed without too much disruption to forks.

Yes, GitHub makes sure to redirect old URL’s to the new address. I did some tests of
this a while back and couldn’t find any issues with it. I will change the GitHub project
name on Monday unless someone comes up with a good reason for not doing so in
the mean time.

> Similar question: will the project name remain as PROJ.4, or rename to
> PROJ to align with the current website and software name?

I think it’s time to purge the PROJ.4 altogether now. The only reason we kept
as the PROJ.4 project name was to align with the website URL. It was a work
around, nothing more. If anyone disagrees with this, please speak up.

/Kristian