[PROJ] Helmert transform

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Wed Mar 20 07:46:01 PDT 2019

Hi Dean,

Do you use existing parameters for the Helmert transformation or do you estimate parameters yourself?

The quality and residuals of estimated parameters depends on the quality and distribution of the coordinates used for the estimation. For a Helmert transformation between a triangulated and a GNSS data set of an entire country of some hundreds of kilometres across, residuals over 1 metre are not uncommon. For two datasets of permanent GNSS stations of a small area, residuals can be under 1 centrimetre.

Kind regards, Jochem