[PROJ] Preferred grid format for transformations?

Brian Shaw brian.shaw at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 25 12:51:16 PST 2019

Hi there

The National Geodetic Survey is considering changes to the grids we
output for transformations, geoids and more and I was wondering if there
are currently any preferred or ideal grid formats in the PROJ
community?  I have been doing a little research as well as seen a few
threads recently that mentioned GeoTiff, NetCDF and HDF5 but wanted to
see if you guys had any preferences?

A few things that will be coming in 2022 include grids for 3D
velocities, uncertainties for grids (geoids, transformations) and more
so some of the things discussed like having multidimensional information
at each node would be nice.

Thanks for your time
Brian