[PROJ] Call for review on RFC 4 text: Remote access to grids and GeoTIFF grids

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 15:32:53 PST 2019

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 at 01:49, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:

> Which brings me to the most important point that I believe is missing in
> the RFC, of notifying the user when a grid file is not leveraged.
> Currently there is no warning, no notice, when a grid is not installed.
> I side with Andrew Bell on his point that during installation I'd like
> to see more messages, notices, or something to install all grid files.
> Could there be a build option of "TEST_ALL_DATUMGRID_FILES" during PROJ
> compilation?

Doesn't responsibility for implementing this warning lie with the
client application? Every application will need to handle this
differently, e.g. in QGIS we implemented a giant warning alert when a
more accurate transformation is possible but can't be used due to
missing grid files (along with a gui based approach to allow users to
download and install these files). But obviously for mapserver this
would need to be handled quite differently (with a big warning in a
log file?). And an application like a R library would also need a
different approach to warning users of this situation too....

FWIW, the code in QGIS which handles this starts at
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/core/qgscoordinatetransform_p.cpp#L380

Nyall