[PROJ] "Trustworthiness" of vertical transformations

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Wed Nov 27 09:25:36 PST 2019

This is a similar situation to that in New Zealand but on a much larger and more complex scale.  The recently established New Zealand Vertical Datum 2016 provides is based on an aerial gravity survey of the country providing a consistent datum and consistent level of accuracy across the entire country.  Prior to that there were 13 principal levelling datums each derived from levelling from a tide gauges.  Once the new datum was established we built a set of correction grids to convert between them - essentially these represent the local offset to the geopotential level surface representing mean sea level at each tide gauge, plus the systematic errors inherent in the levelling network.

The accuracy is much more complex to define - in many applications the local relative accuracy is much more important than the absolute accuracy.  The levelling datums were very accurate between adjacent benchmarks, but much less accurate in terms of absolute height above the geopotential surface.

Similarly when we transform a data set we may introduce an error to the data set as a whole, but the relative accuracy of data within the data set is very little changed.  It can become horribly comlicated very quickly!

Cheers
Chris