[PROJ] "Trustworthiness" of vertical transformations

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Wed Nov 27 17:49:35 PST 2019

Am I right in understanding that where proj (6) determines two or more possible transformation paths between CRSs it uses the accuracy to decide which is preferable?

If so steps the algorithm for combining accuracies could be significant for transformations involving multiple whether or not they are strictly comparable

Also geodetic agencies defining parameters will need to be careful that accuracies are configured to ensure the desired preference is achieved.  In the past it is likely that not much attention would have been given to this as it isn't necessarily very meaningful (certainly not as a single value) and until now possibly didn't make much difference to anything...

Cheers
Chris