[PROJ] Management of datum grid files.

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Wed Nov 27 09:31:56 PST 2019

Even Rouault-2 wrote
> On mercredi 27 novembre 2019 08:14:27 CET Kristian Evers wrote:
>> Perhaps we should look into using %APPDATA%\Local\PROJ as the default
>> path
>> for %PROJ_LIB% on Windows?
>>
>> This has been good practice on Windows for quite a while now. I guess the
>> reason
>> that PROJ doesn't have a default location on Windows is that in
>> earlier versions of Windows no such place was available.
>
> You're right. Probably that %APPDATA%\Local would be a more idiomatic
> default expansion of ${XDG_DATA_HOME} for Windows.
> Looking at
> http://www.binbert.com/blog/2010/09/default-environment-variable-values-of-windows-7-xp/
> I see there is a ton of potential candidate environment variables. As an
> non-native Windows user
> it is hard to tell which one would be the most natural for
> natively-speaking Windows user...
> Any preference ?
>
> It seems %APPDATA%  expands to	C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming . The
> Roaming
> naming sounds funny. Or perhaps this is a Win7 only thing ?
> %LOCALAPPDATA% expanding to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local would seem
> not so bad

> http://www.spatialys.com

See

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-recognized-environment-variables

As a good overview for  variables in the ms operating system context.

Addtional files needed by programs should go to %APPDATA% which may or may
expand to different folders in win7, win8, win 10 and newer, but the
variable is there in all ms versions.

E.g. winGRASS stores the addons in %APPDATA%\roaming subfolder to be
available for a defined user, then available on different boxe in a network

Keep in mind, in the most cases in windows,  proj  is bundled with other
Software.

E.g. OSGeo4W where proj needed files are living in  e.g.
c:\OSGeo4W\share\proj\ or in standalone winGRASS or qgis where  proj needed
files are living in e.g. c:\programs\qgis\share-subfolder  and  %PROJ_LIB%
is set accordingly.

-----
best regards
Helmut