[PROJ] Vertical CRS transformations and vertical grid shift

Daniele Romagnoli daniele.romagnoli at geo-solutions.it
Thu Apr 16 05:44:57 PDT 2020

Hi list,
I have started playing a bit with some Vertical CRS transformations and I'm
trying to figure out how they works so sorry in advance if I ask something
obvious.

I have installed PROJ 7.0.0 on an Ubuntu 19.10 using conda and I have
configured the PROJ_LIB to point to the 2 directories:

proj-data-1.0-1/share/proj
as well as
proj-7.0.0/share/proj

so that it should find all the needed definitions.
Moreover I have also copied there a couple of .csv and grid***.tif to
extend the EPSG list.

Then, I started some sample calls to figure out how it works:
projinfo -s "EPSG:5778" -t "EPSG:9274"

It reports "Candidate operations found: 2"
But for the second one I see this message:

Operation No. 2:
EPSG:9275, GHA height to EVRF2000 Austria height (1), 0.05 m, Austria
PROJ string:
Error when exporting to PROJ string: Unimplemented

WKT2:2019 string:
COORDINATEOPERATION[".... long WKT here...."]

What that PROJ Error means? Will it not be able to do the transform?

Then, I tried combining 2DCRS + VerticalCRS:

projinfo -s "EPSG:31255+5778" -t "EPSG:3035+9274"

And I get again 2 candidate operations and long PROJ and WKT Strings.
Now, when I try cs2cs to transform a coordinate I'm getting this:

cs2cs "EPSG:31255+5778" "EPSG:3035+9274"
88000 273000 600
Results into:
*            *        inf

Not really sure what it means. :-(
If I try a different vertical CRS

cs2cs "EPSG:31255+5778" "EPSG:3035+5621"
88000 273000 600
Results into:
2553923.81 4852657.42 600.00

So, at least the 2D coordinates get properly transformed but the elevation
seems unchanged, therefore I'm not sure how it works.

Setting PROJ_DEBUG=2 I see this message running the above cs2cs command:

*pj_open_lib(at_bev_AT_GIS_GRID.tif): call
fopen(/opt/conda/pkgs/proj-data-1.0-1/share/proj/at_bev_AT_GIS_GRID.tif) -
succeededpj_open_lib(GV_HoehenGrid_V1.csv): call
fopen(/opt/conda/pkgs/proj-data-1.0-1/share/proj/GV_HoehenGrid_V1.csv) -
succeededpj_open_lib(GV_Hoehengrid_plus_Geoid_V3.csv): call
fopen(/opt/conda/pkgs/proj-data-1.0-1/share/proj/GV_Hoehengrid_plus_Geoid_V3.csv)
- succeededUnrecognized vertical grid formatvgridshift: could not find
required grid(s).Pipeline: Bad step definition: inv (failed to load datum
shift file)*

That being said, I git cloned the PROJ repo and I have a couple of
questions:
- how the vertical shift get actually computed when grid shift files are
available?
I mean, I suppose that when finding a grid_transformation entry in the EPSG
DB and looking for the vertical_offset_file associated to a file, it will
somehow load that file and use it for a kind of interpolation/pixel query
but I didn't figure out where this happens in the code (checking a bit the
vgridshift.cpp as well as coordinateoperation.cpp).

- Does it support at the same time csv / tiffs / gtx? (If so, I didn't
manage to find where it eventually loads them)

Thanks for your feedbacks in advance and sorry if any of my question
doesn't make sense.

Best Regards,
Daniele

--
Regards,
Daniele Romagnoli

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.