[PROJ] Put PROJ-JNI bindings under PROJ wing?

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Thu Apr 16 13:53:23 PDT 2020

Thanks all for your reply.

Le 16/04/2020 à 22:39, Kristian Evers a écrit :

> Just to clarify, Martin isn’t suggesting to put the bindings in the
> main PROJ repo. The suggestion is to keep them in a separate repo but
> with stronger ties to the PROJ project with the intention of making
> them more visible for users. So, forking wouldn’t be an issue and
> release cadence… well, that depends how much we change the C++ API
> from release to release I guess.
>
> I agree with you both that having just one maintainer is too fragile.

Indeed. The main intent is to increase the project visibility in the
hope to resolve the "single maintainer" issue. A second intent is to get
a final programmatic namespace for the project (it currently uses
"org.kortforsyningen.proj"). The "org.osgeo.proj" namespace would be
ideal, but can be used only for projects under OSGeo control. I'm
neutral about "top level" versus "community" versus other arrangement.

The maintenance needs on this project should be low. I expect work
needed only in the following situations:

  * Evolution of PROJ C++ API.
  * Evolution of GeoAPI interfaces (very rare).
  * Evolution of Java platform (rarely an issue).
  * Build issues.
  * Needs for one of the few areas not covered by current binding (e.g.
    "BOUNDCRS").

Regards,

Martin