[PROJ] Put PROJ-JNI bindings under PROJ wing?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Apr 16 14:16:12 PDT 2020

On jeudi 16 avril 2020 22:53:23 CEST Martin Desruisseaux wrote:
> Thanks all for your reply.
>
> Le 16/04/2020 à 22:39, Kristian Evers a écrit :
> > Just to clarify, Martin isn’t suggesting to put the bindings in the
> > main PROJ repo. The suggestion is to keep them in a separate repo but
> > with stronger ties to the PROJ project with the intention of making
> > them more visible for users. So, forking wouldn’t be an issue and
> > release cadence… well, that depends how much we change the C++ API
> > from release to release I guess.
> >
> > I agree with you both that having just one maintainer is too fragile.
>
> Indeed. The main intent is to increase the project visibility in the
> hope to resolve the "single maintainer" issue. A second intent is to get
> a final programmatic namespace for the project (it currently uses
> "org.kortforsyningen.proj"). The "org.osgeo.proj" namespace would be
> ideal, but can be used only for projects under OSGeo control. I'm
> neutral about "top level" versus "community" versus other arrangement.

You wouldn't be able to be a graduated project at this stage, as it requires more maturity,
and particularly a diverse developer community. To build such, the community program is the
best fit. The criteria for entering it are being geospatial (this is the case), being open source
(this is the case) and being open to receiving contributions (same).

Once that done using the osgeo.org.proj namespace would be fair IMHO. But that could be a
question that you raise during the application for the community project. Not sure if https://
www.osgeo.org/legal-information/ really covers the use of the osgeo namespace. Wouldn't
hurt asking the board.

Hum, actually digging around, I see there's another Java project around PROJ:
https://github.com/locationtech/proj4j
This one seems to use org.locationtech.proj4j

I guess this must be a continuation of the older
https://trac.osgeo.org/proj4j/ that seems abandonned now and used apparently the
osgeo.org.proj4j namespace

But they are both Java ports, not Java bindings.