[PROJ] NOAA VDatum Tidal Grids and PROJ CDN

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Dec 15 12:31:20 PST 2020

Eric,

12 GB is a large volume compared to the current 500 MB of PROJ-data. I don't
think we would want to distribute that in the .tar.gz/.zip archive we build
from https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-data which contains the 500 MB of data, and
is already seen as too fat for some users when offline use cases must be
covered (e.g. QGIS standalone installer)
Incorporating them directly in that github repository would also be probably a
bad idea, as it would make it unconvenient to manage (any contributor wanting
to add a 1 MB grid would have to fetch a 12 GB repository...)

However, we could potentially import those grids on the AWS S3 storage behind
cdn.proj.org (unless you have a cloud storage publicly accessible with those
grids), and have records in the PROJ database binding the name of the grids as
found in the EPSG database to the URL where they can be found (which is the
business of the
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/blob/master/data/sql/grid_alternatives.sql
table).
Having those datums, CRSs and grids registered in EPSG is indeed a prior step
that would make it much easier to make them available to PROJ users, as
normally the only remaining step is to do that grid name -> URL mapping. There
might be some small code enhancements to do in PROJ source code depending on
if a new EPSG transformation method is created for those grids.

Opinions of other PROJ stakeholders welcome on how to handle such dataset.

Even