[PROJ] NOAA VDatum Tidal Grids and PROJ CDN

Eric Younkin - NOAA Federal eric.g.younkin at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 15 11:36:54 PST 2020

Hello,

I spent some time the past few days reading RFC 4 and some related threads
to the PROJ CDN and PROJ-DATA repo.  I feel like I might be opening a can
of worms here (in that this conversation might have already happened with
someone else from NOAA), but using the CDN for distribution of our Tidal
Datum grids seems like a useful step to take, both for our
internal software development efforts and for other users who might want
these grids.

Where does this group think these Tidal Datum grids should go?  Should they
be included with PROJ-DATA?  The grids in question are ~12 GB in size,
which might be the stopping point here, although with the dynamic CDN
download option, maybe the total PROJ-DATA size is less important now.
What would other users want us to do with these grids?  How could we
provide this data to benefit the PROJ community?

In addition, we are in the process of compiling a metadata package to
formally register these vertical CRS/datum transformations to EPSG, would
using the CDN as a distribution mechanism + EPSG registration allow us to
use these transformations in PROJ?

Welcome any advice on the topic.

Thanks,
Eric