[PROJ] NOAA VDatum Tidal Grids and PROJ CDN

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Thu Dec 17 05:59:01 PST 2020

Le 16/12/2020 à 15:52, Greg Troxel a écrit :

> It's not clear to me where on the path from concept to full
> implemention the ISO registry is. At a quick glance it seems to
> contain only a small fraction of what is in the EPSG database.

My current understanding is that software such as PROJ, Apache SIS, etc.
would not be direct consumers of ISO registry. Instead, ISO registry
would feed EPSG (or other) registry, which in turn feed PROJ (or other)
software. My guess is that the rational for this indirection level is as
below:

EPSG collects data from various national agencies, but this not always
done by or under the supervision of agency staff. Errors may happen, and
the EPG database has many deprecated entries (7% of all entries last
time I checked – not all because of errors) replaced by new entries when
errors were found. By contrast, all entries in the ISO registry are
either provided directly by national agency staffs, or reviewed by them
before publication. From EPSG perspective, I think that the ISO registry
fills a hole: it provides a central authoritative source where EPSG can
refer instead than hunting themselves for data all around the world.

Last time I checked, I found a web interface and API for querying
specific CRS, but nothing for downloading the whole database (contrarily
to EPSG). It contributes to my impression that software interested in
the whole database are not the primary target of ISO registry.

     Martin