[PROJ] NOAA VDatum Tidal Grids and PROJ CDN

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Dec 17 06:35:34 PST 2020

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 12/17/20 2:22 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
>> From our free software developer & user perspective, the ISO geodetic registry
>> is no better than EPSG due to using quite similar terms of use than the EPSG
>> one: https://geodetic.isotc211.org/terms
>> A true (and non custom!) open data license would make it a much more appealing
>> alternative.
>
> This cannot be seconded enough!
>
> Limiting modification makes inclusion in open source projects problematic.

Thirded!

In particular, there is currently an actual problem where EPSG has
transforms listed with uncertainties provided from various places, but
they are not consistent across the dataset.  Hence the approach of
finding a min-cost transformation path can get bad answers.  The fix
would be to increase a few transforms with too-low uncertainties, and
the non-free license makes this harder.