[PROJ] NOAA VDatum Tidal Grids and PROJ CDN

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Thu Dec 17 06:56:42 PST 2020

Le 17/12/2020 à 14:53, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :

> On 12/17/20 2:22 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
>
>> From our free software developer & user perspective, the ISO geodetic
>> registry is no better than EPSG due to using quite similar terms of
>> use than the EPSG one: https://geodetic.isotc211.org/terms A true
>> (and non custom!) open data license would make it a much more
>> appealing alternative.
>>
> This cannot be seconded enough! Limiting modification makes inclusion
> in open source projects problematic.

I see two aspects in the EPSG/ISO license:

  * A restriction on commercial use.
  * A restriction on modifications.

I agree that the restriction on commercial use is problematic. But the
restriction on modifications is more debatable, as there is legitimate
reasons to want to protect data or standard integrity. Greg gave a good
example of case where ability to make modifications is desirable, but on
the other hand there is also historical examples of damages caused by
standards changed at project's will. The concept of "Open standard" is
debated at a larger scale than us, and may be something open source
projects should adapt to:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standard

We may argue that the current reality is that EPSG license does not fit
well in MIT-licensed project. But for making progress we need to not
only express our point of view, but also understand their concerns and
see how we could address them.

     Martin