[PROJ] PROJ 7.0.0RC1

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 17 23:32:58 PST 2020

On 2020-02-18 08:08, Kristian Evers wrote:
>> On 18 Feb 2020, at 05:32, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/17/20 10:11 PM, Kristian Evers wrote:
>>> This also marks the last release of the proj-datumgrid series which
>>> has been superseded by
>>> proj-data. The proj-datumgrid repository will be archive once PROJ
>>> 7.0.0 is released in its final
>>> form. The proj-datumgrid packages are updated this last time to
>>> extent the lifetime of the PROJ 6
>>> branch a little bit.
>>
>> What about possible future changes to the grids in proj-datumgrid
>> itself? Those are still required for the PROJ tests are they not?
>>
>> The primary purpose of the proj-datumgrid was to have that content
>> version controlled, the secondary purpose was to collect more regional
>> grids to have them more easily available to users. The latter is now
>> provided by the CDN, which just leaves the former use case.
>
> The grids provided on the CDN are versioned controlled in the PROJ-data
> repository: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-data
> <https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-data>

I know.

This is about the small subset of grids that are required for the PROJ
testsuite which are included in the main proj-datumgrid archive and for
which the proj-datumgrid repository was initially created.

> The purpose is the same as for the proj-datumgrid, this is just a fresh
> start
> following the changes caused by RFC4.

That doesn't answer my question.

There is still code to handle the files from proj-datumgrid when
unpacked in the data subdirectory, as some of those grids are required
for tests.

Hence it seems that proj-datumgrid itself is not entirely superseded by
proj-data, unlike the regional archives.

For the Debian package this is especially important because there is no
network in the package build environment which prevents the use of the
CDN to fetch the grids on demand.

If future changes to grids required for tests are only available in
proj-data this will need to be packaged or otherwise made available in
the Debian package build environment.

Packaging proj-data has the same problem as proj-datumgrid regional
archive, it's a PITA to maintain the copyright file for the various
grids, and its fairly large size is inconvenient when only a small
subset is required for the PROJ testsuite.

In my opinion it would be good to not deprecated the proj-datumgrid
repository entirely, and keep it for it's primary purpose: version
control for the grids required for the PROJ testsuite to not have to
rely on the CDN for those grids.

Kind Regards,

Bas