[PROJ] PROJ 7.0.0RC1

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Feb 18 04:45:51 PST 2020

> Hence it seems that proj-datumgrid itself is not entirely superseded by
> proj-data, unlike the regional archives.

For "normal" users, proj-datumgrid should be deprecated. We indeed need a few
"old" grids for the tests, that can be fetched for there. We could potentially
consider just dumping them, or a spatial subset of them, in PROJ main repo,
now that we have a data/for_tests subdirectory.

> Packaging proj-data has the same problem as proj-datumgrid regional
> archive, it's a PITA to maintain the copyright file for the various
> grids

How can we help for that ? We have the README files with all copyright and
licensing information. I guess you may have some required formalism for the
sake of Debian packaging. Would a CSV file like
https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/blob/master/filelist.csv be helpful,
with filename, copyright and license columns, so that you can automate the
building of the Debian copyright file ? That .csv file was created to automate
the mass conversion of GTX & NTv2 grids to GeoTIFF files. It could be a good
start if we wanted to resurect it in PROJ-data repository for the sake of
easing maintaining copyright informatio
I'd note also that all GeoTIFF file in PROJ-data embed copyright & licensing
info in TIFF metadata.