[PROJ] PROJ 7.0.0RC1

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 21:50:28 PST 2020

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 15:47, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2/21/20 5:00 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> >>
> >> In preparation of the transition in Debian the reverse dependencies were
> >> rebuilt with RC1, and some fail due to test failures. See:
> >>
> >>  https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2020/02/msg00004.html
> >
> > "QGIS 3.10 doesn't support it yet, so may want to keep proj in
> > experimental for a while until it does, or just live with it not
> > supporting it fully."
> >
> > Can you elaborate on this? It hasn't been widely tested, but it
> > **should** still work OK under proj 7.
>
> You argued for QGIS 3.10 releases to ship with PROJ 6 and not 7:
>
>  https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-February/060259.html
>
> Due to an issue caused by switching to the TIFF grids in PROJ 7.

Ah yes -- that was since fixed by Even in
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/commit/71e6438ba2173ee7c05ade1c395bd5949023cadc

I'm advocating for a conservative approach for our Windows builds
because for those builds the QGIS project completely controls the
environment, and we're free to make those choices based on QGIS' needs
alone. I totally understand if other factors push a distro to move to
the newer release quickly.

Nyall