[PROJ] Relevant descrepancies between Sinusoidal and Homolosine

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Jan 22 10:20:47 PST 2020

What about using Authalic Latitide?

Cliff Mugnier

________________________________
From: PROJ <proj-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of strebe at aol.com <strebe at aol.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 11:15:34 AM
To: luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch <luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch>; proj at lists.osgeo.org <proj at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [PROJ] Relevant descrepancies between Sinusoidal and Homolosine

Caveat: I don’t know much about PROJ specifically.

The formulæ given here for sinusoidal are wrong:
https://proj.org/operations/projections/sinu.html

There is no parameterization of these formulæ attributed to “MacBryde” (presumably McBride) and Thomas whereby you arrive at the sinusoidal. I haven’t looked at the source code to see if that’s actually how they’re implemented.

Also, the datum you specify is ellipsoidal, but the formulæ operate against the sphere. This results in not-quite-equal-area, at least theoretically. Again,  don’t know anything about the implementation. That would be a problem for all three of the equal-area projections you list, though.

— daan