[PROJ] How does proj deal with ellipsoid with respect to reprojection

Charles Karney charles at karney.com
Sun Mar 29 07:17:01 PDT 2020

Jochem,

Here's the equivalent table for the ellipsoidal gnomonic projection as
it applies (roughly) to the Netherlands.  I use the ellipsoidal gnomonic
projection centered at lat = 52 deg.  I considered geodesic line
segments of length S whose centers are 500 km from the center of the
projection.  I then computed D, the maximum deviation of the straight
line in the projection from the geodesic.

       S     max-deviation
     500 km   99 mm
     200 km   16 mm
     100 km    4 mm