[PROJ] Why is Web Marcator EPSG:3857 so popular for web maps (vs EPSG:4326)?

Duncan Agnew dagnew at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 26 06:42:21 PST 2020

To zoom in and out seamlessly and have the results "look right" I think
there are only two choices:
Mercator (most Web services) and perspective (Google Earth). The latter
only works because our visual system is
used to this distortion and (almost always) automatically turns it into a
3-d impression.