[PROJ] Suggestion - add EPSG version to proj_info()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Apr 12 02:10:29 PDT 2021

I realise that simple SQL on proj.db can return the EPSG.VERSION key from
the metadata table in proj.db, and that PROJ and EPSG versions are
hard-wired in a single run-time. Could also the built-time EPSG version be
made available?

In https://github.com/rsbivand/rgrass7/issues/27, two Windows binaries,
each built against PROJ, but different versions, one EPSG 9 and one EPSG
10, so that when one (rgdal) resets PROJ_LIB to EPSG 10, GRASS fails to
read proj.db because it is EPSG 10, with g.proj -w returning an error.

An alternative would be a mechanism to allow rgdal to use "its" PROJ
search path, and GRASS (or other binary software) to use "its" search
path, but while I implemented this for PROJ 6 in rgdal, I went back to
PROJ_LIB because we need both the proj.db directory and the CDN download
directory (on both sides, I expect).

The problem only affects stand-alone binary distributions without an
underlying package manager to ensure harmonisation across installed
software.

Interested in views, I've raised this on grass-dev too, but I think that
it is more general, hence post here.

Best wishes,

Roger

--