[PROJ] World UTM in a proper datum

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Sun Apr 18 00:20:02 PDT 2021

This is indeed a major problem with (the way most software and people are using) EPSG. By just using EPSG CRS codes, one needs a unique EPSG CRS code for every possible combination of datum and projection. However, the number of possible combinations is way too large. I think, the solution is to split the datum definition (WGS84, WGS84G1762, ITRF2014, ETRF2000, etc.) and the projection definition (UTM, pseudomercator, LAEA, LCC, etc.). For the datum definition one can use the normal EPSG CRS codes. For the projection definition one could use the lesser known EPSG conversion codes, e.g. EPSG conversion code 16031 (https://epsg.org/conversion_16031/UTM-zone-31N.html) for UTM zoned 31N. Isn’t this the approach used in WKT strings?

Jochem