[PROJ] World UTM in a proper datum

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Sun Apr 18 13:54:28 PDT 2021

Reading some answers, I realized that the term "WGS84" is very polysemic.
To see the different meanings (are there more?), let's use this WKT:

projinfo EPSG:32632 -o WKT1:GDAL -q

PROJCS["WGS 84 / UTM zone 32N",
    GEOGCS["WGS 84",
        DATUM["WGS_1984",
            SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
                AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]],
    PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
    PARAMETER["central_meridian",9],
    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
    UNIT["metre",1,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
    AXIS["Easting",EAST],
    AXIS["Northing",NORTH],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","32632"]]

We see that WGS84 can be:
 - Spheroid/Ellipsoid (EPSG:7030)
 - Datum (EPSG:6320). A datum ensemble in this case (more about that later)
 - The prefix of all the 6 datums members of that datum ensemble EPSG:6320,
like WGS84(transit) or WGS84(G1762)
 - Geographic CRS (EPSG:4326)
 - The prefix of many projected CRS. All those that have EPSG:4326 as the
base geographic crs, like "WGS 84 / UTM zone 32N"

In addition to that, I met some people using it wrongly
 - Some people use it to refer to any UTM projection over WGS84 (the one
that affects them). They say "WGS84" instead of "WGS84 / UTM zone 30N"
 - As the "one and only" lat-long system

The accuracy problem I mentioned in previous emails is due to the fact that
the datum "WGS_1984" is a datum ensemble, that produces that you are not
sure about which one are you talking about:
https://epsg.org/datum_6326/World-Geodetic-System-1984-ensemble.html
(actually EPSG marks it with an accuracy of 2 m)
The same happens to the associated geographic crs, WGS84 EPSG:4326. And
that "pollutes" all the projected crs that use EPSG:4326 as the geographic
crs.

The last member of that ensemble, WGS84(G1762), has a geographic crs,
EPSG:9057. However, there are no projected crs on it in EPSG.

Cheers,
Javier
Entre dos pensamientos racionales
hay infinitos pensamientos irracionales.